How do I import a Catalog or Content File?
This article describes the process of importing a new catalog or content file in order to update page information within the FatStax iPad app. This is different than updating or revising Resource files. See How to Update Resources for more information on that topic.
Note: The format and structure of the content file needs to be set up in a specific way in order to import successfully. For more information on this, see What is a catalog content file?
3. Select the update options and choose the content file
1. Select Update all data for a standard import where all fields will be updated for items listed in the file (most common).
There's also an option for Only update pricing for existing SKUs. For more information on this, see How do I update just pricing information for items?
2. Check the Delete all of the data... checkbox if you wish to remove all of your catalog data before importing the new catalog file (not recommended). This typically means that the new catalog file contains all of your catalog information; therefore, it's okay to remove the old data and do a clean import with the new data. However, all resource links associated with item pages will be lost if you delete all data. We suggest leaving it unchecked if your catalog contains resources.
Leaving the box unchecked, means that the content from the file will replace existing items that are the same. Any new items that do not currently exist in the catalog will be added.
3. Specify any emails address to receive a notification when the import process is complete. Separate them with commas. This is sometimes helpful if you are working with a team of content managers.
4. Select Choose File to navigate to and open the catalog content file. The file has to be in a .csv, .xls, or .xlsx format. Any csv file must be UTF-8 (Excel can not generate this csv so use xls)
5. Select Upload & Process to begin the import.
Note: during the import process, you cannot leave the page. This will disrupt the import process. Once importing is finished, you can move to other sections in the site.
4. The Imports page will monitor the import process
The imported file will be evaluated row by row to update new information or add new records.
The status box will reflect how many items were added, edited, and deleted. Refresh the page to update the status. Once the box turns green, the import process is complete.
Note: The box will turn red when there is an error preventing full import. The Last SKU line shows the last successful line that was processed in your import file so that you can review that record and the next record in your import file to determine if there was a formatting or missing value.
The Blue process button is only necessary if you want to process the same file once again. The import button both loads the file and processes the file automatically so there is no need to select Process again.